Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I live in AZ. My husband has asked me for a divorce. We would

I live in AZ. My husband has asked me for a divorce. We would like to do it with one lawyer acting as a mediator. We have a lot of assets. Is it ideal to do this? Or would it be better for me to risk the high lawyer fees and get my own attorney? Does it matter who files for the divorce first? We will be married 19 years this June.....So he is only offering me 5 years of alimony and being married that long shouldn't I be entitled to more?

We are still in the same house, and co-parenting. It was a good marriage minus the announcement that he is a cheater. Never knew. We are still friends but I do have a trust issue with him now.
Dear JACUSTOMER - A lawyer can only represent one party's interest in a divorce and the attorney will not act as a mediator. If you hire the lawyer then the lawyer will be representing you and vice versa if your husband retains counsel. So long as you are the one hiring the lawyer then you should be OK but if your husband hires the lawyer then you need representation as well. I would agree that 5 years is a fairly short time for alimony in a 19 year marriage however it is always dependent on the overall circumstances and the relative earning power of the parties. The cheating has nothing to do with the calculation of the alimony but 19 years of marriage certainly does. Attorneys are not mediators and they represent clients so don't be fooled into the idea that an attorney is going to be representing the interests of both of you.