Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My exwife refuses to sign Quadro for my pension. I live in

My exwife refuses to sign Quadro for my pension. I live in California. How can go forward
with this issue
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. Note: there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation. Can you please tell me:

1) Is the divorce still ongoing, or, has it already been finalized; and
2) Are you represented by an attorney, not not?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Divorce is final. I retired may22,2012. No attorney at this time
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

Normally, the QDRO is signed by both parties and is then approved by the Court. Then, the QDRO is sent to the pension plan company to divide the assets. Normally, this is supposed to be done at the time of the divorce, but often, this matter is forgotten.

If the other party does not wish to approve the QDRO order, then one typically has to have the Court approve it. This is done via motion. The motion is very aptly named Motion to Approve Qualified Domestic Relations Order and one may find a sample on sites like uslegalforms.com or usalegalresource.com. A sample is below:

Motion to Approve Qualified Domestic Relations Order

HERE COMES NOW Movant, and files this Motion to Approvw QDRO with this Honorable Court, and shows in support:

1. The original decree of divorce for this matter is dated ____________.
2. It it, the parties agree to divide the pension plans the following way: (explain, briefly).
3. No QDRO has been endorsed by the Court to effect the division.
4. Movant hereby requests that the Court approve and endorse the QDRO attached hereto, which reflects the division agreed-upon in the divorce.

Movant prays that the Court approve and endorse the QDRO.

Sincerely,

Signature

Name
Pro Se

A copy has to be filed with the court and set for a hearing, and the opposing party has to be notified of the date/time, as well as a copy of the motion and the proposed QDRO.

You see, even if she does not approve it, all that is needed is the Judge's signature, who should approve it after a quick hearing provided that the QRDO reflects the agreement in the divorce decree.

If possible, an attorney should be used for best results. I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.