Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

My son was in an accident, his mother is going to sue. The

My son was in an accident, his mother is going to sue. The issue is this, we have a 50-50 custody agreement, we don't get a long and I don't trust her. 1. Can the lawyer sue on my son's behalf without my consent. 2. If I do consent what are my best options. My goal is the following, if money does come to my son, he is only 2, I do not want his mother or myself to ever be able to touch it for anything.
Dear JACUSTOMER - If she files a suit you can join the suit as an interested party since you are a parent of the same child. You would then be involved in the suit and you can make certain that any judgment or settlement would be properly put into a trust for the benefit of your son and that it could not be accessed by anyone but him when he turns 18. This would be the easiest way to have some control over the settlement and the money being kept safe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I talked to her lawyer, is there anything I can sign with him?

You could ask him for an agreement that you would be placed on any account that is opened in trust for your child if the suit is settled or won. That way the mother could not unilaterally do anything with the money and it would require your signature.