Meigs
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.
22589080

My divorce cost me $65k and it was "finalized" in 1/2009, Im

Customer Question

My divorce cost me $65k and it was "finalized" in 1/2009, I'm tapped out. Qdro was never done and ex liquidated all accts. I have to prove this. Additionally, I have to prove why he was fired by subpoenaing his prev employer on top of it all. He's blaming me, trying to eliminate his alimony, arrears in excess of $10k and another 3 years of our agreed amount. He was fired for an insubordination issue.

Would an attorney help me with just the subpoenas for the plenary hearing? I don't have the funds to hire another attorney
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 1 year ago.

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you today?

meigs004 :

So you are wondering if an attorney will help you with the limited issue of drafting the subpoenas and the hearing?

meigs004 :

Is that cool?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

that is it -

Customer:

I will even do as much as the dirt work as the atty would need me to -

meigs004 :

Great, thanks. Yes, you can hire an attorney to represent you in that capacity. It is known as "limited-scope" representation. You would need to sign an agreement with the attorney that indicates that the attorney is limited in his/her representation of you in the matter for the purpose of drafting the subpoena's and attending the hearing. After that, his/her contractual obligation to you would end.

meigs004 :

However, the attorney is of course going to want you to retain them for the full matter, but they can represent you for that purpose only.

Customer:

Well, part of the problem is the attys I have contacted are not interested, cannot be bothered, etc.

Customer:

Even newbies coming out of law school - I don't know who to contact.

meigs004 :

I understand. You will need to simply keep searching for one that will take the case, but the answer to your question is that yes, if you can find one, they could represent you in the limited capacity of that hearing and the subpoenas of the former employe.

meigs004 :

The best thing to do in this circumstance is contact the local bar association for a referral, they may be able to help you find one.

Customer:

Thank you for your time and your help. Very good - thank you. I will do that.

Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.