LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

I was divorced in Long Beach,Calif. in 1996. How do I get a

I was divorced in Long Beach,Calif. in 1996. How do I get a copy of my divorve decree?

Good morning Doug,

I'm Doug, as well, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you are local to the court, you can go to the clerk of the Superior Court and they will assist you in getting a certified copy of the decree.

If you are not local, you can write to the Superior Court Clerk's office in that county and ask them to pull your file and mail you a certified copy of your divorce decree.

This will take some back and forth because they won't know the cost to charge until they see the length of the decree.

Alternatively, you can contact a local private process server in the county, and they can go to the court, look up the file, and arrange to get a certified copy for you and then sent it to you overnight if you need it quickly.

Here are several agencies who would be able to assist you:

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you need any clarification of my answer.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed, so that I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. I will be happy to continue further, and to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a way to do this online?

Hi Doug,

Actually, picking up the phone and calling a process serving company is the easiest way. The court does not have on-line copy services for things like this, and the court is the only entity which can issue you the certified copy of the decree---which may be required for everything from getting remarried, to social security issues.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (8-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a way to just view it online? I don't need an official document.

I am aware of no way to search for decrees online from Long Beach Superior---part of the LA County Court System, from that far back. I'm sorry.

While the court systems have made documents from about 2005 to today available online---case file document from earlier than 2005 are just not typically available.

You can try at this link---but I don't believe that it will be available online.