How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25427
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a stage four cancer patient, under duress from ex spouse and his wife, I am unable to

This answer was rated:

I am a stage four cancer patient, under duress from ex spouse and his wife, I am unable to afford an attorney
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I am so sorry to hear about your situation and certainly understand your concern. What exactly are they doing to you and what exactly is it that you need an answer to. I am happy to help but need some clarity on the issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem is my ex-husband's wife is filing tomorrow to get full custody of my son. They supplied him with a cell phone to speak with an attorney and coached him, what to say to a counselor. I wanted to know if this legal for an attorney to do this without my knowledge, and threats are being made by ex and wife and son

Thank you for the additional information. First off, she may not have standing/the grounds, to obtain custody of your son, since she is not the mother. While your ex husband could petition the court for full custody, he would first need to have your parental rights terminated and then ask the court to allow her to adopt your son, for her to have any legal right to him. Without this happening, she can not do anything herself nor have standing to proceed. It would have to be done by your ex husband. Whenever the Judge is deciding a custody issue, her/she will always act in the best interest of the child. Below is the Arizona statute which the Judge will use and reference. There is nothing wrong with the attorney speaking with your son but if you think he was coached and told what to say, you can always bring this to the attention of the Judge. The Judge may want to speak with your son and see what, if anything, he was told and what problems are present. If you currently have legal custody of your son, the burden will be on the father, to show that it needs to be changed, based upon his best interest. This is certainly going to be hard for him to do. If you are served with papers, you would want to reach out and contact Legal Aid, to represent you and help with the matter. Here is a link with their contact information.

25-403. Legal decision-making; best interests of child

A. The court shall determine legal decision-making and parenting time, either originally or on petition for modification, in accordance with the best interests of the child. The court shall consider all factors that are relevant to the child's physical and emotional well-being, including:

1. The past, present and potential future relationship between the parent and the child.

2. The interaction and interrelationship of the child with the child's parent or parents, the child's siblings and any other person who may significantly affect the child's best interest.

3. The child's adjustment to home, school and community.

4. If the child is of suitable age and maturity, the wishes of the child as to legal decision-making and parenting time.

5. The mental and physical health of all individuals involved.

6. Which parent is more likely to allow the child frequent, meaningful and continuing contact with the other parent. This paragraph does not apply if the court determines that a parent is acting in good faith to protect the child from witnessing an act of domestic violence or being a victim of domestic violence or child abuse.

7. Whether one parent intentionally misled the court to cause an unnecessary delay, to increase the cost of litigation or to persuade the court to give a legal decision-making or a parenting time preference to that parent.

8. Whether there has been domestic violence or child abuse pursuant to section 25-403.03.

9. The nature and extent of coercion or duress used by a parent in obtaining an agreement regarding legal decision-making or parenting time.

10. Whether a parent has complied with chapter 3, article 5 of this title.

11. Whether either parent was convicted of an act of false reporting of child abuse or neglect under section 13-2907.02.

B. In a contested legal decision-making or parenting time case, the court shall make specific findings on the record about all relevant factors and the reasons for which the decision is in the best interests of the child.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are a couple other factors, you see being a cancer patient, and survivor, they are using that as well. He wanted me to keep child support and give my son over to him, and he will still pay me. That is what he said, and if I didn't agree to his terms I cannot get anything. you see he quit and took a ten dollar an hour job so he didn't have to pay 15 hundred a month his attorney said he would have to pay for child support, I couldn't ask for spousal maintenance because he didn't have much to send, but I asked if I could reserve that right. Not only that my son wants to be there , because they will give him things I cannot afford. I had a restraining order, put on her, they retaliated by calling CPS several times. Will this help me in court? Legal aid only charges thirty five dollars, not their cost. What worries me is my son wanting to go there. And he stated they want to take him to New York far away from me

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am satisfied with what he sent me, I just wanted to add to that question, because he didn't get that part on the question. About my disability
Janet, how old is your son?