Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

the child was born out of wedlock, the fathers parents took

the child was born out of wedlock, the fathers parents took care of the child from birth she is now 8yrs old our son and the childs mother had 50/50 custody she took us to court and the new judge ruled that the grandmother could not be with the child unles their was an approved chaperone without giving any reason now the child is in ditress and not doing well in school was this ruling legal

thank you
the grandmother
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Who has the court ordered custody at this time?
Is the grandmother you are referring to the same person who had the child at birth or the other grandmother?
Was there a motion filed asking the court to rule as to the grandmother being alone with the child and, if so, what was the basis of the motion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now it's the mother yes i was the grandmother who took care of the child everyday from birth yes not to be alone with the child but they gave no reason because their was no reason

Dear JACUSTOMER - I'm not certain why there would have been a motion of this type and no reason provided to the court as to why you should not be with the child. The problem is that the court has the power to make these rulings and the only person who would have standing to object would be your son since you are not a party to the custody case. Obviously I have no way of reviewing the court records but what needs to happen is for your son to appeal this ruling and ask the court to reconsider the part about you being alone with the child. There must have been some reason given in the motion to the court as to why you should not be alone with the child however the court would not necessarily have to had mentioned the reason in the court order. In any event this needs to be handled by your son who is a party to the case. While the child is in his care he should have the right to allow you to babysit or care for your grandchild unless there is some specific reason not to.
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years experience as practicing attorney