Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

When are child support and when are alimony payments due for

When are child support and when are alimony payments due for the state of MD? (end of month, by a certain date each month, etc...)? When are they considered past due?

thanks
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. Note: there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

There is no "default date" for child support. The Court will always set a date that the monthly payment is due, which is normally the first, second, third, or fourth of every month. So the specific date is on a case by case basis (sometimes, there are bi-monthly payments on the fifteenth and the last day of the month, as well).

This is the same for alimony, although the vast majority of alimony orders state the due date as the first of each month.

The payment is due on that date. Anything past this is late automatically and is considered past due immediately.

However, to force the issue by motion for contempt, the party that has not been paid typically is expected to (1) attempt to resolve the issue first, and (2) have them be late by a few weeks at least so that the Court will consider the contempt motion timely.

In other words, filing for contempt with someone being a few days late is often an overreaction in the eyes of the Court; it must be a few weeks at least in most cases so that the Judge knows that the non-paying party has not only failed, but likely also has no intent to catch up and rectify.

I hope this helps and clarifies.

If this is not what you had wanted to hear, I am sorry. Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, if there is no date established, then it can be assumed any date within the month?

thanks

S,

This would be highly unusual if the decree did not state "pay by ___ day" of the month. If so, then this is very likely an oversight and is human error, and you or the other party (or both, jointly), may wish to bring a MOTION FOR CLARIFICATION to confirm which date is the date that the Judge wishes to have as date due.

However, if there is no date, I am afraid it is not safe to assume that it can be "any" date. While you are unlikely to be held for contempt for non-payment if the decree does not have a certain date for you to pass, arbitrarily creating a date yourself is also not a good idea and on the safe side, one should assume that it means on the FIRST of every month until/unless the Court states differently via Motion for Clarification.

Again, surely you prefer that I be honest in my answer – please remember that rating negatively due to receiving bad news still hurts the expert – it is simply the way that the system is set up. Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.