Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

A friend of mine is being sued for his parental rights. The

A friend of mine is being sued for his parental rights. The action is filed in Bryan, Texas even though both parties live in the DFW metroplex. There was a child support case that was filed in Bryan, Texas when the mother of the child lived there and it seems that this is under the same cause No. My question is Can this new action be moved to the area that both parties live in? It is a problem for the father of the child to go to Bryan and get representation etc...If the case cannot be moved can I get a list of lawyers that specialize in this type of law that may practice in Fort Worth and Bryan.?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Just so I know are Forth Worth and Bryan in the same county in Texas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the father lives in Tarrant County and the mother lives in Parker County. These two counties are adjoined. The suit is filed in Brazos County about 3 to 4 hrs. from both parties
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you

Then either Party may file for a change of Venue to the county where either have lived for at least 6 months.

So if the Father has lived in Tarrant County for 6 months or more, I suggest he may file the Motion of Change of Venue and request it be moved because neither party lives in that county any longer.

He may be able to get a form for a Change of Venue from the clerk of the court in Brazos County. If not, then he will need an attorney in his county to do it for him

If he needs a local attorney in Tarrant County, I suggest he can try the Bar Association Referral Service - Here (NNN) NNN-NNNN or (877) 9TEXBAR (Toll Free), Monday - Friday, CST, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m and tell them you need a family law attorney in Tarrant County

I think I have answered your question. Remember, I can only answer and provide true and correct information for what you ask.

Otherwise, please rate this service below Good to Excellent so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close the question and it will always be available for follow ups. A Rating will only close a CHAT and then convert it to a QA where you can always access it.

Thank You and good luck with everything
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On this same matter we were told that since the child support suit was filed there when the mother lived in Bryan Tx that any action for the suit had to be heard in that town but these are different matters and I would think different courts. Child support was through the Attorney General now this new action I would think should be a new suit but is showing the same cause no. How much will it cost to have an attny file this motion for change of venue?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I can only guess that an attorney will request a retainer of at least $2000 - Unless you just want the COV motion filed. Then I would guess about $500.

And yes, I suggest that this new matter should be a separate matter

Thank You and good luck with everything