Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

My exwife who lives in SD just informed me she is sending my

Customer Question

My exwife who lives in SD just informed me she is sending my 42 year old son, who is unemployed (18 months), bipolar and an alcoholic, to FL where I live, because she cannot tolerate him and his verbal abuse any longer. I do not want him in my home and cannot financially support him nor do I desire to, given his refusal to seek medical aid/treatment or file for disability benefits. What are my options?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Is your son under a guardianship where you are legally his guardian and responsible for his care and maintenance?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, nor is his mother

Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Ok, then you legally have no obligation to either let him live with you or support him. When someone becomes an adult, even if they don't act like one, the parents have no legal obligation to provide care and support for them any longer unless there is a court order saying they do.
.
So if he shows up to your house, you can simply refuse to allow him in and call the police to remove him as a trespasser if he refuses to leave.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.