Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

does inheritance money become community property in a marriage

does inheritance money become community property in a marriage ?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
No, with certain execeptions. As a general rule, any property acquired during a marriage is marital property subject to division in the event of a divorce. The two exceptions are inheritances and gifts to one person. However, if someone inherits money or property, they must keep it in their sole name and not add the spouse to the account or deed. If they do so, then it loses its separate property classification and becomes marital property.
.
So as long as assets aren't commingled by being put in both spouses names or by beign deposited in joint accounts, they retain their separate properties and would remain the separate property of the one spouse.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.