Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law

I am in the process of retiring and I need to have my husband

I am in the process of retiring and I need to have my husband sign off on my retirement because I want to do straight life. What will happen to my retirement if he refuses to sign off? Can I still retire and select what I want to do. I am retiring from Michigan Public Schools as a teacher. Also he resign from his employment 4 years ago without my consent and spend most of his retirement, so do I have to give him anything?

If you cannot get your husband to sign off on the retirement terms you want, the current terms will remain in effect. These probably include some sort of spousal survivorship provisions. You cannot force your spouse to sign to change the retirement plan payout terms. Laws were put in place to protect spouses from losing retirement benefits.

As a married couple your spouse has an interest in your retirement. Whether or not you give him any money while you are married is up to you. If you divorce it is likely he will get some benefit from your retirement.

If you found this answer useful please press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.