Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law

I am separated from my wife for over a year now. Last August,

I am separated from my wife for over a year now. Last August, the judge awarded me lost wages and reimbursement of my lawyer fees from my wife for court time incurred for false pfa's. This amounted to around $3000. I have no way of forcing her to pay. She is on ssid and also is working. In October, I was forced to give her $1200 a month in spousal support. It is payroll deducted from my place of work. Since this support goes through the court system, can they attach the judgement against her to these spousal payments so I can get reimbursed? If so, how would I go about getting this done? I live in Pittsburgh, Pa. Everything goes through Allegheny County Court System. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. Note: there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. Can you please tell me if you have filed anything in regards XXXXX XXXXX $3,000 owed, or not - no pleading has yet been filed on this?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ely, no I have not filed anything since I was awarded the judgement. I had been told it would cost me more in lawyer fees to get her to pay. That was prior to my having to pay spousal support. I just think that there should be a way to attach this judgement to her support. They set us both up with a debit card which they deposit the spousal support into for her. Since I have a card as well, it would be easy for them to deposit the funds into my account.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.

Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and Good Luck.
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

You will need to go through the collection process in Pennsylvania to get your money back. If your ex has real estate you can obtain a lien against the property. This will get you your money when the property sells or is transferred. More immediate relief may be obtained by garnishment of bank accounts, and or the forced sale of assets. Depending on earnings you may be able to garnish your wife's wages. There are more extreme methods of collection which can involve jail time for non - payment through a contempt of court proceeding.

Spousal support is not directly garnishable.

If you found this answer useful please press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the SSID subject to garnishment?

Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

No, not in this circumstance. SSDI can only be garnished for child support, spousal support, federal government debts, school loans It cannot be used in this instance to collect on a judgment.

Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience: OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law