max713
max713, Lawyer
Experience:  I am responsive, respectful, and relentless.
68040893

I have been living with this person for 13 years and we are

I have been living with this person for 13 years and we are now split for a year now. We have never owned anything together or have had any property together. I did claim her on my taxes as a dependent never as a wife. Are we considered a married couple by comon law? We live in Texas. I have supported her for 13 years, am i legally responsible for anything, as to her support anymore?

max713 :

Hi. I thank you for choosing Justanswer for your legal question(s). My role as expert is to provide you with utmost service through providing legal information that is honest and truthful (and not overly rosy in nature). Notably, I do not provide advice.

The closest thing to common law marriage in Texas is "informal marriage". For that, there are certain requirements. Under Texas Code, in addition to living together for 13 years, one must either (i) sign a declaration of marriage or (ii) agree to be married AND hold out to others that you were married.

max713 :

If neither of these took place, even if you lived together for 13 years, you would not be considered married under 2.401 of the Texas Family Code under subchapter E, "marriage without formalities".

max713 :

Does that make sense?

max713 :

And, if so, do you have any follow up questions? If so, I welcome any and all - as I am here to provide you with the best possible service.

Customer:

yes so i am not legally responsible for her support of any kind, if none of these requirements happened?

max713 :

If there was no agreement that you were married, you could not have been married AND you would therefore not owe spousal support - correct.

Customer:

Ok thank you very much.

You are most welcome. Thank you, and all the best to you.
You are most welcome, Bill. It was my pleasure to serve you. While I hope all is well, if you have any follow up questions, I encourage you to ask them. Thank you.