LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

Two weeks ago, my home was destroyed by a severe storm. I have

Two weeks ago, my home was destroyed by a severe storm. I have 6 cats and 2 dogs and 2 ferrets. My best friend took 3 of my cats, my small dog and my 2 ferrets. My friend was just divorced march 5th. My friend and her ex-husband still live in the marriage home with their 2 children (until the home sells). the house is going on the market April 1st 2013. my friend has been taking care of a stray cat for many months. he went missing a month ago and finally came back to her house today. he came home with a bad wound and she took him to the vet and the cat, upon release from the vet, must be placed in a safe place so he can heal. The ex-husband says the cat cannot come in. i offered her a cage and she agreed. she wants to keep him out of the way and in the basement. now, along with him not diggin on the idea of my animals being there and now the injured animal, can this man do anything legally about the animals being there? it is half of his house as well as hers. I am going to rebuild and it will take a while so she took my animals in good faith i will retrieve them when possible. please advise. thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jane,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you. I say that in all sincerity, as I'm such a pet lover and can only image how much you're going through at this time, not to mention the loss of your home.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to share some good news with you, as follows.

As long as your friend is agreeable to the arrangements, you're in good shape. Here's what I mean by that statement. The law provides that each marital party enjoys shared rights to their domicile. This includes what the law calls the quiet use and enjoyment of the home, and that means having guests over, having animals, smoking (if applicable) and so forth. Now, he can certainly express his views, but there is nothing the man can do to "force" his wife to not allow the pets to be boarded. The only thing that could make his wishes "stick" would be for him to obtain a Court Order, which just isn't going to happen.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much. I just spoke with my friend and she said she thinks the ex will go the dirty route and say an animal bit him or say he doesn't want the animals around his (their) kids.

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Jane,
Thanks for writing back...great to hear from you!
You're quite welcome...my pleasure entirely to be of help!
That's discouraging to hear. From a legal perspective, it doesn't change things in terms of marital property rights. However, it does concern me that he may call the authorities and request removal of the animals on an allegation such as you have described. Looking at this from the perspective of best protecting your animals and your rights, to me it would be advisable to place them elsewhere if at all possible. If you're not already aware of this resource, I just wanted to mention:
Connecticut State Animal Response Team (CTSART)
Hang in there, and I'm holding a good thought for you and your pets!
Kind regards,
Ben, J.D.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will look into the link you provided. In your first reply you said there is a ''quiet law''... he certainly isn't enjoying that law (even though my animals aren't any trouble :) thank you for your kind word and sharing your expertise with me.

warm regards,

Jane

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Jane,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write back and let me know my answers have been helpful to you. It makes my day to know that, and I deeply appreciate your sharing.
And, great quip about the "quiet" enjoyment of the home...thanks for the chuckle!
Seriously, though, you have an awesome attitude in the midst of such troubles.
Best regards,
Ben, J.D.
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jane,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, J.D.