How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi- I live in Philadelphia, PA. Ive been married for 3

Resolved Question:


I live in Philadelphia, PA. I've been married for 3 years. My wife is originally from Bergenfield, NJ. My wife and I have a daughter, age 2 1/2 yrs old. My wife is thinking about accepting a job in NYC as a Port Authority Police Officer. She will have to be away for 6 months for training in Jersey City (commuting back and forth). I'm not happy she will be away and working eventually NYC. I'm usually very supportive with what she wants to do (currently helping her get her Master's degree) I told her this job will put a strain on are already strained relationship. She's just looking at the dollars and cents involved. My question is this: If she files for divorce, will she legally be able to take our daughter out of state with her. Our daughter was born in North NJ but has always resided in PA. Please advise. Let me know if you need additional information. Thank you.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 2 years ago.

Hello Vincent,
My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.
Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.
Yes, either parent has the right to the child in such cases, I regret to say. In other words, this remains the case unless and until a Court of competent jurisdiction enters an Order to the contrary. Without such an Order, either parent is free to have his or her child live with him, travel, do all of the usual things a parent does pursuant to what the law calls "natural rights". It amounts to a "race", so to speak, until an Order is entered putting some parameters around the situation. For that reason and many others, the very best next step you could take would be to confer with local family law counsel.
If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.
I truly hope all works out for you and your family.
Take care,
Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.



Thanks for your kind words and assistance. This "race" you speak you mean which parent files for custody 1st? About a year ago, we had an argument and I left the house to cool off . Upon returning, she was gone with our daughter. She didn't say where she had gone and during our argument she mentioned she wanted a divorce. The next day I filed for custody for our daughter in Family Court. The court date was set for 5 months later. We had reconciled prior to the court date and I dropped the petition. Even though I dropped the petition- does that stay on file that I filed a petition? Does the history of filing before help me in the future if I have to file again? I thought both parents have to agree to an out of state move when children are involved? Please advise.



Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Vince,

Great to hear from you and thanks for writing back!
You're quite welcome. It's entirely my pleasure to be of help to you.
Yes, the rough analogy of a "race" applies in a couple of ways. First, without any Judicial proceedings, it's up to whichever parent makes the first move in terms of taking a trip or otherwise making a geographic move with the child. Secondly, as you mentioned, it also comes down to which parent makes it first to the Courthouse. However, concerning the second scenario I'm certainly not saying being first to file means everything will go in favor of that parent. Not at all. Rather, the Judge is bound to make all decisions touching upon parental access (custody, visitation, parenting) pursuant to the legal standard of what is "in the best interest of the child". That will always trump any parental preference either way and so forth.
Now, procedurally, it works like this. There's no huge advantage, and certainly no disadvantage to having file previously, to be candid. Reconciliation is very common, so Judges tend to see this sort of scenario all the time. My best educated guess is that the case may have been automatically dropped from the docket, but a quick call to the Clerk will confirm where things stand in terms of needing to re-file. And yes, there certainly is a relocation law relevant here. To read it (it's quite short), please just click the following link:
Pennsylvania General Statutes § 46b-56d
Looking at things from the perspective of best protecting your interests, and especially with your wife's job situation, I would encourage you to be proactive. Meaning, confirm the status of your previously filed case and either continue with it or re-file, if necessary. Either way, I really do think you need to have an appropriate Order in place.

Best regards,
Ben, J.D.
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
LawHelpNow and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 2 years ago.
Hello Vincent,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.


Ben, J.D.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: