AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family Law Attorney serving California Statewide

I have a court date tomorrow morning regarding child support.

I have a court date tomorrow morning regarding child support. I found out through my ex-whom my case is against- that our attorneys have set up a meeting for the 4 of us to discuss settlement after the hearing tomorrow for the custody portion of our case. Should I attend the meeting to negotiate custody division, even though my attorney will not be letting me know about it until we are "on the spot"? My ex and his attorney have had a meeting to discuss how the negotiation will go and have known about it for a week. I haven't even been able to get in touch with my attorney and will not see her until the hearing.
Thank you. I just want to be sure to make a rational decision through my anger.

AttyCBradford :

WOAH... First off if your attorney is having meetings without you you need to consider your relationship with your counsel. As attorneys we cannot participate or enter into settlement negotiations without our client's permission. Therefore, you most definitely SHOULD participate in it. Also, in CA you do not have to agree to a custody plan. If you would like to see a mediator you are allowed to do so as well

AttyCBradford :

If I have answered all your questions then please press accept and provide positive feedback, so I receive credit for my work. If not and you have additional questions please ask, and I will respond promptly. Please note: this is a PAID ANSWERING service, once your question has been answered, press accept. This conversation does not constitute an attorney-client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Lastly, sometimes it may take a moment to respond as I work with several customers at a time. Thank you and best of luck.