JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Assisting family-related situations for over 14 years.
14211116

We need a social worker for a family member. She is almost

We need a social worker for a family member. She is almost indigent but not quite. Where would we find one in the state of Nevada around the Gardnerville area and what would be the cost?

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can wait. Thanks.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described. Why is a social worker needed? What do you need that person to accomplish for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We need someone to help us connect with state sponsored services that could help her in the home. We also need professional advice on how we can help her in case the hip problem deteriorates. We have determined that the falling problem is connected to alcoholism. We need a third party to help the family decide how we can help without destroying our finances and impacting us all psychologically.

Thank you for the follow-up. Is she over 60 years old?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is 72.

Thank you. Then you would contact elder protective services at(NNN) NNN-NNNNto make a complaint of isolation and inability to care for oneself such that she is at risk of harm. They will assign an investigator to assess the situation and, where warranted, put a care plan in place.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.

JB Umphrey, Family Law Attorney
Experience: Assisting family-related situations for over 14 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I investigated Nevada's Elder Protective Services as you suggested and they seem to be geared towards prosecuting elder abuse. No one is abusing my mother-in-law. That's not the problem. No one can get her to stop drinking and that is the reason she is falling down, has bruises and a fractured hip. She is not experiencing abuse, neglect, exploitation, or isolation. I am concerned that a complaint to Elder Protective Services might get someone in trouble who is trying to help her. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appriciated.

They have multiple components, criminal prosecution is one of them but it's not their exclusive purpose.

If she is not able to care for herself and is a danger to herself, then a complaint to Elder Protective Services would be appropriate. They may find it necessary to go to court to petition to have someone named to be her guardian. That person could then have her admitted into an inpatient program.

Understand, however, that if she does not want to stop drinking, she won't. I know how difficult it is to watch someone self-destruct like that. It's heart-wrenching.

Of course, it doesn't require a report to Elder Protective Services. Anyone who wants to take on the legal authority for her care can go to court and petition to be her legal guardian and be in charge of her health care decisions if the judge makes a finding that she cannot care for herself and presents a danger to herself.

I hope this helps to clarify the options.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Family Law Attorney