schollomon
schollomon, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney in Houston, Texas. I specialize in family,employment, personal injury and workers' compensation law.

i was woundering what would happen to me when i go to a child

i was woundering what would happen to me when i go to a child support hearing for the first time if i dont have a job when i go. i went 2 other times for child support b4 but my xwife never showed up to court.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  schollomon replied 1 year ago.

schollomon :

I am very sorry to hear that you are having trouble finding a job right now. Unfortunately, it is possible that the court will still order you to pay child support according to the guidelines of the state of Virginia. If the Court does so, you can request that hte amount of support be reduced during your period of unemployment. Also, if you recieve any unemployment benefits, the court may also consider those benefits in determining the amount of support you will be ordered to pay. When you go for your hearing, I suggest bringing all documentation of your income and expenses and any proof you may have of the length of time that you have been unemployed.

Customer:

so will i go to jail when i show up to court because i dont have a job atm?

Customer:

i dont care about paying, my court date is the 18th of this month. i just dont want to go to jail because the other two times i went i had a job working as a temp but this time i dont. i havent worked for 3 weeks

Customer:

thats really all id like to really know. is will i go to jail when i show up to court for not having a job for child support. i live in the state of virginia. if you could send me a text message to my phone when u send me the response and ill give you the credit for the answer. thanks alot, hope to hear from you soon.

Customer:

hi

schollomon :

No, at this time you will not got to jail because you are not in violation of a current order to pay support. From the information you provided, you are going to a hearing to establish child support and determine the amount you will be ordered to pay. Is that correct? If that is correct, you will not go to jail when you show up for the hearing.

Customer:

yup thats right

Customer:

thank you so much, i was all freaking out

Customer:

so i have time to get a job then.

schollomon :

Well I am glad I was able to provide some answers to ease your anxiety. Good luck in your job search and I really do hope you find a permanent position.

Customer:

thanks so much

schollomon :

Yes, you have time to get a job. However, remember, the judge can still order you to pay while you are looking for work.

schollomon :

You are very welcome!

schollomon, Lawyer
Experience: I am a practicing attorney in Houston, Texas. I specialize in family,employment, personal injury and workers' compensation law.