Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Ra-ja

Customer Question

I got Laid off from job in sep 21 2012 filed for modification plus 1 child turned 18 and lives on his own so this needed to be done anyways finally got her served got the court date was set for feb 21 2013 2 days prior she filed child support enforcement so judge vacated it I now have a job waiting in Alaska starting may 10 2013 and the new court date is for may 28 2013 I cant afford to pay a lawyer 2500.00 to appear for me so can I go to courthouse and ask for relief or something I need this job or should I just stay on unemployment they haven't been taking anything out because I had pending court case
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Question
: I got Laid off from job in sep 21 2012 filed for modification plus 1 child turned 18 and lives on his own so this needed to be done anyways finally got her served got the court date was set for feb 21 2013 2 days prior she filed child support enforcement so judge vacated it I now have a job waiting in Alaska starting may 10 2013 and the new court date is for may 28 2013 I cant afford to pay a lawyer 2500.00 to appear for me so can I go to courthouse and ask for relief or something I need this job or should I just stay on unemployment they haven't been taking anything out because I had pending court case

Response: Of course you should not stay on unemployment. If you have a good job offer you should take it. You need to contact the Clerk's Office immediately to ask if they Offer telephonic hearings. If so, they should tell you how to request for one so that you can appear at the hearing by telephone. Most Courts now offer telephonic hearings for out-of-state and out-of-the-area litigants. If the Court does not have telephonic hearings, then you should immediately request for the hearing to be moved to before May 10, before your relocation to Alaska. It would be better if you get consent of your ex about the date for the new hearing so that you would file a Joint Request to move the date of the hearing. The Court would usually say yes when both parties agree on a date. You should contact the Clerk’s office for available dates, then run the dates by your ex to see which one would be convenient for both of you.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.