Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Ra-ja

my grandson gave his son up for adoption to a friend, the judge ordered that he no longer had to pay child but the state is still taking it out of his check, how can he get the papers that states he no longer has to pay child support since the adoption documents are sealed and he can't afford a lawyer

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Question: my grandson gave his son up for adoption to a friend, the judge ordered that he no longer had to pay child but the state is still taking it out of his check, how can he get the papers that states he no longer has to pay child support since the adoption documents are sealed and he can't afford a lawyer

Response: If his child has been adopted, his parental rights have been terminated by operation of the law. The adoption also terminates his obligation to pay child support. All he needs to do is to submit a document from his friend such as the child's new Birth Certificate showing that his friend is now the legal parent of the child. His friend can use the link below to order the new Birth Certificate for the Child and give it to your grandson to give to Child Support Enforcement Services. :

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/planning_eval/vital_statistics/birth_death.htm

Also see Florida Statutes Section 63.152

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0063/Sections/0063.152.html

63.152 Application for new birth record.—Within 30 days after entry of a judgment of adoption, the clerk of the court or the adoption entity shall transmit a certified statement of the entry to the state registrar of vital statistics on a form provided by the registrar. A new birth record containing the necessary information supplied by the certificate shall be issued by the registrar on application of the adopting parents or the adopted person.

Let me know if you need additional information.