Meigs
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.
22589080

I have been divorced for almost 8 years,my x husband was ordered

Customer Question

I have been divorced for almost 8 years,my x husband was ordered to pay $250.00 monthly and has never paid me any child support. we divorced in Mississippi, i went through the child support agencies there and nothing was ever done. For the past 3 years me and my children have lived in NC i know follow the guidelines for the child support agency here and still nothing. the problem is he is unable locate,(keeps his address at his moms) and he works for cash,although he is always going to jail for unpaid child support on his 1st child,in the same county in MS that i did live in. from what i have been told it would best for me to hire a lawyer,which i have to hire one in MS because he resides there, My problem is I raise two children alone,One of them which is the child that belongs to him is a child with special needs,and i do not have the money to hire a lawyer. my x husband is now fixing to have his fourth child,while not taking care of his other children,mine included. I need help,Do you know of any family law lawyers that are not expensive?or would be willing to work with me financially?This man does not deserve to be walking around free making more kids,and my child suffers enough with condition,she and i deserves the child support.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 1 year ago.

meigs004 :

Hello, I am sorry to hear of your struggles! I know how extremely frustrating your situation can be.

meigs004 :

So you are wondering the best way to find a family law lawyer that will handle your case for cheap?

meigs004 :

It appears that you have received good information to this point. You will have to file an action there in MS, and you will have to serve him, which appears to be difficult. The CPS or DHR agencies can drag their feet, and alot of times do not get much accomplished whatsoever, so the best bet for you is to file a separate civil suit, seeking the child support arrears, as well as the interest. To do this you will need a lawyer. They are expensive, so you could do some shopping, but the best way to find a lawyer who is cheaper than most, or potentially will do it for free, is to consult the local bar association in the county where you believe he resides, or by contacting the MS state bar association and they can give you a referral, or a list of attorneys in your area that practice pro bono (free) work. In addition they will have a list and contact information for all volunteer lawyer programs, or free legal aid programs that you may be able to apply to that will take your case for free, or very little expense, however you will have to qualify and provide income information to them before they will take your case.

meigs004 :

Does that answer your question?

Customer:

i will try that. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX about the name change issue? if he is unable to be located for me to get change of name papers signed by him is there a way to do it? i would love for her to carry my last name,since he does not raise her and chose to step out her life when she was 5. if there is no way around getting her last name changed, is there a way for me to be able hyphenate her middle name? i have heard of people posting things in papers and such and if no response in certain amount of days,than it can be granted. is this true with name changes?

meigs004 :

You would have to file a petition for name change in the chancery or probate court there in MS, and if you can show that you can not find him, then the judge can order that it be changed.

meigs004 :

That is true that you can post it in the paper. That is known as service by publication.

meigs004 :

That is the last resort when an individual can not be found.

meigs004 :

And usually only reserved for family law issues.

meigs004 :

Good, I am glad I could help, if that answers your quesitons please remember to provide a positive rating prior to exiting the chat by selecting the smiley face so that I can be credited for our time together. If you have other questions please feel free to ask!

meigs004 :

Do you have any other questions?

meigs004 :

Are you still there?

Customer:

no questions i can think of at the moment,i am just tired of having to "jump through hoops" the "system" should have found him a long time ago. thank you for your help.

meigs004 :

You are very welcome, and I fully understand you being tired of that!

meigs004 :

Please provide the positive rating by clicking the smiley face and submitting.

Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.