Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I am currently married. My husband received a check from the

I am currently married. My husband received a check from the attorney general. He left me and I need to pay our bills. What whould happen if i signed his name and deposited it into my account?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Is the account a joint account or only in your name?
What is the check in payment of?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We do not have joint accounts. Here is the sistuation He owed me back child support which was around 4,000.00. I went and releaved him from having to pay it because we are married so when he filed his income tax they sent his return to the attorney generals office. They held the check because they were waiting for the judge to sign the orders. The attorney genereal has now sent the check and I received it yesterday in the mail. I have a three year old son with him and my daughter. I need to pay our rent and he is no where to be found. Can I deposit it into my account? Is the check half mine? What can I do legally?

Dear JACUSTOMER - I cannot tell you to commit a crime from this website and it is a crime to forge someone's name on a check or to deposit it into an account on which the person is not listed. So if you deposit the check you are doing so at your own peril. Obviously if he is nowhere to be found and is not likely to return he will have no way of knowing that the check existed. So if the bank will take the check and you want to risk the consequences if a complaint is filed then you can deposit the check but it is not something I recommend.