Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I share 50/50 custody of my child with my ex. She was not

I share 50/50 custody of my child with my ex. She was not taking him to his sports activities out of anger for me.

I filed a motion to modify our divorce decree so each parent had a say in activities and that we would honor each others choice. Eventually a GAL was assigned to the case and at the hearing he recommended that in addition to co-parenting counseling that the parents try and agree and if not the parents/child visit our son's counselor where his preferences will be strongly considered and if after that we can still not agree then we simply alernate seasons in who gets to pick (so each season a different parent has the final decision).

The judge was very sympathetic to the evidence I showed of her displaying anger/resentment towards me, and making threats to not take him, and also not taking him.

But in the end he did not even consider my testimony and simply went with the GAL's recommnedation without barely reading it.

Now with this, during her seasons she will simply not pick anything to spite me and makeup a reason why she is not listening to the child's preference/wish expressed at the counseling session.

Is there anything I can do?

There is verabage in our decree and order that says parents can not use personal motive when making decisions for the child and that they shall strongly consider the child's preferences for activities that thet voice at the counseling session.

Thank you!

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am afraid that you would have to file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt and provide proof she is using personal motive to keep the child out of sports. The court is going to have to get involved once again and you can also ask the court to at the very least to interview the child in chambers to determine the child's wishes on these sports issues so the judge can hear it for himself. In your motion for the order to show cause for contempt, you would specify in the motion that the court should at least hear the child's wishes directly from the child to prove that the other parent is using personal spite as a reason to deny the child activities and ask the court consider the child's actual wishes personally outside of the GAL's written recommendations. I am afraid that this is all you can do and argue that at the very least the child has a right to express himself to the judge, even if it is in chambers.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted or the law does not help your situation, PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your help. I did have one question, as I was confused on something you wrote..

You wrote:

"you would specify in the motion that the court should at least hear the child's wishes directly from the child to prove that the other parent is using personal spite as a reason to deny the child activities and ask the court consider the child's actual wishes personally outside of the GAL's written recommendations"

When you say "....and ask the court consider the child's actual wishes personally outside of the GAL's written recommendation"....

Are you saying that if I ever get to the point I feel she is not strongly considering his wishes (which would be a violation of the GAL's recommendation), and I file a contempt charge, that when I get in front of the judge I ask if my son can be spoken to by the judge?

I just did not understand what you meant by "outside of the GAL's written recommendation".

Thank you!

Ted

What I meant by that is instead of just the GAL writing a report for the court to read, you are asking the court to actually interview the child or allow the child to testify so the judge could hear it for himself.