Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My daughter (14.5) is the product of a previous marriage.

My daughter (14.5) is the product of a previous marriage. We recently went to court to modify the order to guarantee she would be able to attend a church summer camp each year (something the father was against due to religious differences). The order was modified, and at the same time, child support was modified as well (he was deliquent by 3 years.) Over the course of negotiations, state ordered child support per the worksheet was reported to be 540 + back support payments. He insisted he wanted more parenting time, twice weekly, three weekends a month, six weeks in the summer, but when this didn't bring down his support obligation per the worksheet, he opted for a choice we gave which was every other weekend, 2 weeks in the summer and Christmas every year for a greatly reduced child support amount. He fore-fitted any three day weekends or other vacation breaks, proving to the court that he was only worried about the cost of the child support. In the end, mother was awarded full legal fees (15K) and child was allowed to go to church camp every year regardless of the weekend obligation. The order was also modified to state, exactly, "As the child gets older, her desires and interests will need to be considered in arranging for the exact parenting time schedule. When the child is of such an age as to be mature enough to provide input into the parenting time schedule, the child shall be afforded that opportunity. The child's desires and outside activities shall be taken into account in determining the exact parenting time schedule."

So the question is she has reached a point where the weekend is filled with activities for school, NJHS (she's an honor student, of course), friends, etc. Additionally she will be starting high school next year. At what point does her age and activities afford her the right to make her choices? He is less than reasonable when it comes to changing weekends to accommodate activities, often accusing mother of scheduling them on his weekend to keep her from visiting his home (including a death of a grandparent...) When she gives him notification several weeks in advance of an event, he does not acknowledge the question which she usually presents in an email or text message. Is this something that needs to be taken to the court, or can she state she wants to stay home to attend xyz event, or modify the pickup time to attend xyz event?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If she is mature and understands the nature of her requests now and has legitimate activities, then this begins NOW and if he cannot understand her presenting these activities to him as grounds for rearranging the scheduled visitations, then you need to send him a letter quoting that paragraph above and telling him that this is exactly what the court meant and if you have to go back to file in court based on him being unreasonable, then he will be paying for more attorney's fees for you filing an order to show cause for contempt of court.

The courts expect reasonableness and if you can show the court her text messages and emails explaining he reasons to him together with you informing him of the clause in the order, the court is not going to be overly happy with his conduct and it will hit him again with attorney's fees.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted or the law does not help your situation, PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.