Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Customer Question

I live in Michigan, and I want to take my wifes maiden name when married. Is this still applicable, if the bans of marriage are publish in my church.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I reply.

Yes, this is still possible. The state should allow you to take your wife's maiden name. Although it is normally the other way around, there is no law that the husband cannot take the name of the wife.

It does not matter that the marriage was published in a Church publication as her taking your name. This has no official bearing on state documents.

This may be done in two steps:

1) Visit your local Social Security office and bring a copy of the marriage certificate, which can be used to have your name changed on your SSN; and

2) Secretary of State branch office with your new Social Security card, your current ID and your marriage certificate to modify your name on your driver license.

Additional step:

3) Use the new SSN and your new driver license to change your name on other documents such as work, bills, etc.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.