Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My son is 18.5 and is in a residential substance abuse treatment

My son is 18.5 and is in a residential substance abuse treatment center. This facility is out of network for my insurance andis expensive. I am my son's custodial parent and am receiving child support from the non-custodial father. According to my support stipulation,i will continue to receive support until my son turns 21 and this support agreement will remain unmodified according to the support waivers we both agreed to. Since treatment costs for my son are high and support is also supposed to cover my other son who is 14, is my ex- husband financially liable for any of thes additional medical/treatment costs? I have sole physiucal custody and we have joint legal custody.
Thank you
Hi

I am sorry to hear that your son has to be in treatment - but I am glad that he is wise enough to know he needs it

Unfortunately, there is nothing that would mandate by law the Father to contribute any more child support or any money toward the costs of this program for your son - The only way it could be forced would be if in the Divorce Decree it was stated that he would continue to contribute to health care costs of of the insurance program until age 21

I am sorry. I suggest that you might ask the treatment center if there is any type of financial aid available for those who are indigent - and cannot afford to pay

Or if there can be a payment plan established. Hopefully, once your son is released he would be able to work and help repay those amounts

I think I have answered all your questions; however, if not, please let me know.

Remember, I can only answer and provide true and correct information for what you ask.

Otherwise, please rate this service below Good to Excellent so that I may get credit for my time and information. Thank You and good luck with everything