lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

My son is 18 years old and has graduated from high school no

My son is 18 years old and has graduated from high school no longer living at home . On his own with a girlfriend and baby.Am I responscible to continue with child support for him?Also my daughter has quit school and has gotten a job? What are my responcibilites ??? My Ex is really giving me a hard time as I am out of work .My mother is trying to help me out but she has limited income as well.
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

You do not have to pay any child support for your son since he is now considered to be emancipated but you cannot just stop. Write a letter to the child support worker in charge of your case and request a review of your child support obligation. State that he has graduated and moved out. They will respond to you but the problem is that they have up to 6 months to do so. To change your obligation faster you will need to file in the family court for a modification. If your daughter is under 19 and still living at home you will probably have to continue support for her. You can make the argument that she is also emancipated but as long as she is still living with your ex that is probably not going to happen.