TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

What does a U.S citizen and a foreigner (the foreigner already

Customer Question

What does a U.S citizen and a foreigner (the foreigner already has a visa to enter the U.S.) need to do to be legally married in the U.S.?
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

A US Citizen is free to marry a foreigner inside the US. The parties do not need special permission to do so. They may apply for a marriage license and marry under state law. Immigration law is not a factor.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively so that I receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But what info would be needed? Would the foreigner then legally be able to stay in the U.S.? What kind of lawyer could legally answer these questions?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

You're asking about two entirely separate issues.

Your first question was about marrying in the US. Marriages are determined by state law and have nothing to do with immigration. The state does not care about immigration, and allows foreigners to marry. The foreigner would likely need a birth certificate, just as a citizen would need, but so long as the foreigner can provide the required documents, then the marriage will be allowed and it will be legal. The foreigner's immigration status is irrelevant.

Your question about the foreigner legally being able to stay in the US is completely separate because that is not a marriage question. It is an immigration question. However, immigration law generally allows spouses of citizens to get green cards, assuming there are no issues of marriage fraud (i.e., marrying for the green card). In any event, if the couple is looking for an attorney to deal with the application, then they should hire an immigration attorney.

I hope that helps. Please remember to rate me positively. Or if you need more clarification, feel free to let me know and I'll be glad to continue to help.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JD, MBA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. If you answered the first time with the first paragraph of the second time you answered, I would not have replied to you.

Thank you very much for your time!

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You're quite welcome. Sorry for any confusion. Thank you for using our service!