stevexo
stevexo, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  30 years helping those with Family legal needs

My wife and I were divorced in Montgomery, Al in 2006, I moved

Customer Question

My wife and I were divorced in Montgomery, Al in 2006, I moved to gulfport MS. in 2009 my ex-wife and 2 minor children (Presently 12 & 11) move to Gulfport and we have cohabitated since.

I am sure I am common law married, what do I need to do to get divorce un MS law (normal procedures)? Also, is it possible for us to cohabitate living in separate bedrooms, and remain divorced?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  stevexo replied 1 year ago.
31 years of family law litigation. Understanding of your concerns,and a good legal knowledge base. Well I think I am going to make your day.There is no such thing in Mississippi as a common law marriage. Thus, you living with her does not mean you are married, and therefore there would be nothing to get a divorce from. Many States have abolished common law marriage, and it is the modern trend. So you can now live together if that is your desire, and never worry about your actions giving the relationship the status and obligations of a marriage. I am sure that she will not be as pleased with this news,as perhaps you are. Sincerely, Steve
stevexo, Family Law Attorney
Experience: 30 years helping those with Family legal needs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sweeeeeeeeet! :-)
Expert:  stevexo replied 1 year ago.
I thought you would be happy. This is type of legal advice I wish I always could give!Have a great day.Sincerely, Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Steve,

Got a quick follow up question...will add bonus. My name is the only name on the loan/deed, what are my eviction rights even though she's lived her for 4 years but pays no rent, has no lease.

Expert:  stevexo replied 1 year ago.
Ok for a bonus yes,but this answer is not going to be as great as the first. If she is on no documents, pays no rent,not on lease,even if she has lived there for a short period of time, you cannot just throw her out.The law has really changed in this area, the days of throwing one out of a house are over. If she will not leave, the only way now, because she has lived there, you can legally get her out, is to file an eviction and have her served. You can get her out that way. You just file an eviction under the landlord tenant statutes, and then if need be the Sheriff will remove her pursuant to the eviction process and court order that will be entered.Good Luck, Steve
Expert:  stevexo replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, I see that you have viewed my answer,but I am not seeing the bonus I was promised. Is there something that you need me to explain, or expound upon in my answer? Sincerely, Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried several times but it's not going through...lets see after this response it gives me the option...I not trying to renig...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's only giving me the option to pay another 38 dollars...100% is a little more than a bonus...let me know how to get you about a 60% bonus...say $20.00
Expert:  stevexo replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about you having problems doing this, and I wish I could tell you how to do this. Since all I do is answer questions, I am unfamiliar with their administrative procedures. When I have a question such as this, I always tell the customer to contact customer service, and they always are able to help. I know this is a pain, but I really appreciate you being considerate, and being a great customer! Sincerely, Steve