Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

when a child is born out of wedlock what is the usual and customary

when a child is born out of wedlock what is the usual and customary last name on the birth certificate, mother's or father's ?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Really, what is usual and custoXXXXX XXXXXes over time. It's becoming more and more common for the mother of a child born out of wedlock to have the mother's last name. It's entirely up to the mother what name to put on the birth certificate. She doesn't even have to use a name that belongs to either parent. She can make up a new name entirely.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The mother and father are not a couple but the father persists with anger that the baby should have his last name and has become very unkind with the mother over this matter. Please tell me your impression and opinion of the fathers behavior.

I can understand why a father would want a child to have his last name. I can also understand why a mother would want a child to have her last name. Legally, the father has no say over naming a child until he is able to give birth to one. It's unfortunate, but it's biology.

There is no need to be unkind. Legally, he is in the wrong, and being rude or abusive about it is not going to make the mother likely to want to consider his wishes.