Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My ex and I had a full custody evaluation done and my ex fiance

Customer Question

My ex and I had a full custody evaluation done and my ex fiance dropped going for full custody and supervised visitation after the conclusion of the evaluation came back that he didn't feel that she should have these rights. I had a terrible attorney who did not work with the other one in trying to resolve the simple matters of picking a safe haven counselor, choosing a PC, and other matters ordered by the evaluator, that should have been worked out before court. Now I am unemployed, got dinged with paying my own and my ex Fiance's attorney's fees. Now we find out that the safe haven counselor will not take our insurance and is 500 to start each person, plus 500 each person to start with the PC. I am UN ABLE to pay. What do I do from here? Can the judge take my son away from me because I am UN ABLE to pay this huge fee?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear this has happened to you, it puts you in a bad situation. The only real recourse you have is to file a motion in court for the court to reconsider the fees and ask them to waive the fees for the counselor and PC based on your significant change in financial circumstances. If the court refuses to waive the fees, I am afraid that they could take your custody away for failure to comply with the court orders sadly. Thus, if the court denies your waiver, I am afraid you need to do what you can to find someone to help you pay these fees to comply or locate a counselor and PC who will work with you and negotiate a payment plan for their fees.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your honesty... If I file an order to change my child support under the new circumstances, can the judge, who does not like me at all, deny the motion? Say she just does not like me and wants to make my life hard, though I was not able to go back to my last job (which is in writing and she has seen), I am getting unemployment (whcih is a fact and also in writing?

The child support is based on income of the parents and is set by state guidelines and law that the judge has to follow. One of the grounds for modifying and lowering support is a significant change in financial circumstances and loss of employment is such a significant change. You will have to prove to the judge that you are making reasonable efforts to find new employment and have not yet been able to do so and then under the state guidelines this is grounds to reduce the support based on your new income with unemployment.