Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

what is the legal perspective if a spouse leaves a minor child

Customer Question

what is the legal perspective if a spouse leaves a minor child at home alone? Jurisdiction, Vegas?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is FiveStarLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

To assist me in answering your question, please tell me:
1. What is the child's age
2. Are the parents married to each other
3. What length of time was the child alone

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a scenario; kid is 6-8 years old, parents married, can a parent leave a child for say 3-4 hrs? If forced due to some personal matters?
Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Andy for your information.

Nevada law does not set forth a specific age that a child may lawfully be left home alone. However it is generally agreed that a child in elementary school should not be left alone.

The Nevada Department of Children and Family Services instructs that a child should be taken into immediate custody if the parent/caregiver leaves the child alone with inadequate or inappropriate supervision arrangements. What is considered to be " inadequate or inappropriate" varies with the age and developmental abilities of the child and is left to the discretion of the DCF worker investigating.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.

How are things going? Is there anything else I can help you with?