I got my US citizenship just last year; before that I was a chinese. I have been married 3 years and now my husband wants to divorce
me.. I have two houses in China, which was bought by my parents before our marriage
. Do I have to give one to my husband after divorce? we didn't have any prenup before marrige.
I got married in INdiana, seems the law said,
Sec. 4. (a) In an action for dissolution of marriage
under IC 31-15-2-2, the court shall divide the property of the parties, whether:
(1) owned by either spouse before the marriage;
(2) acquired by either spouse in his or her own right:
(A) after the marriage; and
(B) before final separation
of the parties; or
(3) acquired by their joint efforts.
(b) The court shall divide the property in a just and reasonable manner by:
(1) division of the property in kind;
(2) setting the property or parts of the property over to one (1) of the spouses and requiring either spouse to pay an amount, either in gross or in installments, that is just and proper;
(3) ordering the sale of the property under such conditions as the court prescribes and dividing the proceeds of the sale; or
(4) ordering the distribution of benefits described in IC 31-9-2-98(b)(2) or IC 31-9-2-98(b)(3) that are payable after the dissolution of marriage, by setting aside to either of the parties a percentage of those payments either by assignment or in kind at the time of receipt.
As added by P.L.1-1997, SEC.7.
Dose that mean it's possible He can take one of my house? even it's in China?