Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.
17831645

being married after 9 years if my wife cheats on me and i file

Customer Question

being married after 9 years if my wife cheats on me and i file for divorce does she still qualify for alimony in the state of texas?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Amber E. replied 3 years ago.

Adultery does not absolutely disqualify a spouse from being awarded alimony. This is because the court must consider a number of different factors in making its decision, which you can review HERE http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.8.htm

Nevertheless, it is a very serious factor in a state like Texas where alimony awards are difficult to get in the first place. Therefore, if you are able to prove that your spouse cheated on you and that this infidelity caused the end of the marriage, it may well constitute "marital misconduct" sufficient to bar recovery of alimony in the eyes of a local judge.