Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
18539850

I have a very complicated case. I was married for 26 yrs. I

I have a very complicated case. I was married for 26 yrs. I had a friend who was my attorney for 25yrs on my business and a friend for 30 yrs. My wife wanted a divorce. I asked my attorney to do our divorce and we agreed on the price. I sat down in his office we talked and he showed me how the properties would be divided and said I would pay child support and maintenace for 4 yrs till my daughter was 18. He told me this was a standard divorce forum he has used for yrs for couple married this long. I didn't want the divorce. I signed and they never sent me copies had to go to his office to find out I was divorced. Then after 4 months I found out it was un-modifiable and maintenance went till she remarried or death. The child support kicked over into her maintenance. I am taking her back to court now after finding out my friend was really working for her. I have always just signed stuff for my attorney never reading things close. I have paid my attorney bills with carwashes for 5 yrs now. I gave have 2500.00 in carwashes.
I've been trying to work out an ending date for maintenance and have heard rumors of them seeing each other and now have evidence. They are ready to make a deal now. They have been seeing each other for yrs and know there caught.
Should go after him or her or both?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

I am a family law attorney and I believe I can help. However, before proceeding, I need a bit of clarification. Are you saying that the attorney is now seeing your former wife? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They have been for over seven yrs. He's married and has been with other clients. They want it kept a secret. Yes they are. My ex-wife and I were trying to work out a deal to keep me from filing a motion. I told I have very good info on Ric my ex friend and ex attorney.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
When did you get divorced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I"ve been divorced 10 months now. I have a yr to file the motion to change divorce decree. Now they are ready to make a deal with me. My attorney said Ric is in a mess. My attorney is just focus on getting my maintenance to end with in 4 yrs. I want to know about seeking damages for this affair stuff. It forced me into bankruptcy, health problems , destroyed my family.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information, most helpful. Back to the original question, what do you mean by "go after"? What is it that you want to accomplish?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Because of Ric miss leading me on the divorce I have was forced into bankruptcy. I had a carwash that was in trouble and I had to make a choice of using my money to fight the divorce or keep carwash going a few more yrs.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Ok, and what would you like to accomplish? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know now that my ex and Ric tricked me on this divorce. I know now He should have never been talking to me or giving advice. Can you sue a attorney, or is that a lost cause.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

My initial thought would be to focus on the case with your former wife first. You might consider waiting to see how this matter plays out. From what you have stated, it seems that you are making progress and, as a result, may end up with a satisfactory result. If so, then there might be no need to go any further.

.

Conversely, if the result does not leave you satisfied, you might then consider pursuing the matter against the attorney. Based on the facts as you have stated them, I would suggest that you may very well be able to prove a breach of his fiduciary duty to you in the representation during the divorce. First, it would be inappropriate to represent both parties. Second, if he had a romantic interest in your wife, it would be hugely inappropriate to be working for you.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator