How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16578
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just discovered that my father gave my brother US Savings

This answer was rated:

I just discovered that my father gave my brother US Savings Bonds to be given to my son when my parents' Trust was fully executed. They have both passed away and the Trust
is past being fully executed. Since my son never got any bonds, and although we have
asked the Bonds be sent on, my brother appears to be unwilling to turn them over to my son. (He tried to negotiate a cut of the Bonds before disclosing them and I just accidentally found out about them myself).
If there anything that can be done to force my brother to send his nephew's Bonds on to him?
Thanks very much.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Is there anything in writing that shows the intent by your father to transfer / gift this bond to your son?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oy, long story but after my father passed away, my brother took my elderly mother to court to try to take away her power over her own assets/finances. There was a big court case and in reviewing the paperwork I found a letter my brother had written to his attorney telling his attorney that my father had given Bonds to him for my son to be

turned over to my son "upon full execution of the Trust." This info

appears in his attorney's Supplemental Responses To Special

Interrogatories....So I have it in "black and white" from the Horses's



Dear Alana,

How long ago was this trust executed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, I can't tell if my last response to your question re how long ago the trust was executed has gone through ....if not, my father died in 2000 and my mother in February, 2012. Trust fully executed a few months after

that so roughly six months ago or slightly more.

Dear Alana,

Thank you for your follow up.

Just one more thing.

Do you know the estimated value of the bonds your son was supposed to receive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, we have no idea. I would just GUESS maybe $5K - $10K, but only a guess.

Dear Alana,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, since your son is an adult, it is your son who would have to bring a claim against his uncle and as long as the estimated value of the bonds is under $10,000 such claim can be brought in the Small Claims court that is local to your brother's residence (I am assuming that your brother also resides in California).

Small Claims courts are relatively easy for a person to navigate through and your son does not have to have an attorney to represent him in his lawsuit against his uncle.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions