Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

Hi, In my religion I can do second marriage without divorcing

Hi, In my religion I can do second marriage without divorcing my first wife. So I am planning for second marriage without divorcing my first wife. But as I know in USA we can have only one wife at a time. Do we have any such state which allows multiple wives, if not what can you please suggest me, what is my options.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

Are you a polygamist?

Customer:

not sure what is polygamist

Samuel-II :

A religion that allows for more than one spouse at the same time

Samuel-II :

What religion are you?

Customer:

oh yes, I follow Islam

Samuel-II :

I see

Samuel-II :

Well, here's how it works in the US - You cannot be legally married to more than one spouse at a time. That would be called bigamy and it is a felony

Samuel-II :

However, the way religions get around it is they have a civil divorce under state law

Samuel-II :

and since their religion rules, they are still married =

Samuel-II :

And so they can then marry again

Samuel-II :

But have to go through the civil divorce process

Samuel-II :

There is some polygamous relationships in Utat

Samuel-II :

That would be the state of Utah

Samuel-II :

But they are often challenged

Customer:

so after civil divorce with my first wife, will it be any issue if she lives at same address as mine

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

No That is not an issue as long as you have the civil divorce

Samuel-II :

You see, you will need to show the civil divorce documents to get a license to remarry

Samuel-II :

And there are no laws about how many women can live in the same household

Customer:

what about If I want to go back my home country (India) get marry there and come back here

Customer:

because in India they allow multiple wives for our religion

Samuel-II :

That is fine, as long as you can show that you have a civil divorce here in the US

Samuel-II :

Right

Samuel-II :

So the US law is only one spouse is legal at a time. But your religion will not recognize a divorce

Samuel-II :

so You are still good with your religion and beliefs

Customer:

Even in my scenario if I am not marrying here in US, still do I need to do civil divorce

Customer:

because I have Indian passport and in India they allow multiple wives. Will it be any issue, If I come back from there

Samuel-II :

No

Samuel-II :

Not as long as you show that you were married in India

Samuel-II :

You just cannot get married more than once in the US without the civil divorce

Customer:

got you, so I and person I am going to marry can go to India marry there and come back here

Samuel-II :

Yes. You can do that

Customer:

but US law will not accept her as my wife right ? because I already have one wife

Customer:

or will they do as long as I marry in india

Samuel-II :

Correct. So let's say you wanted to add her as a spouse to your employment insurance, etc, you cannot do that

Samuel-II :

No. It would not be recognized in the US

Samuel-II :

And you would not be able to claim her as a spouse on IRS returns etc - you can only claim one spouse in the US

Customer:

got it, thank You for your answers

Samuel-II :

You're welcome

Samuel-II :

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck

Customer:

:) thank you

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: General practice of law with emphasis in family law.