How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 114076
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you direct me to the CT statutes that govern what a parent

This answer was rated:

Can you direct me to the CT statutes that govern what a parent is entitled to from an ad litem-- where it says no subpoena or production request but can depose etc. I am just getting very mixed signals with one atty on here who I wrote to days ago saying that you cannot confront a guardian in open court.
the guardian ad litem is the representative of the child’s best interests.” Newman v. Newman, 235 Conn. 82, 96, 663 A.2d 980 (1995). It is well established that the role of the guardian ad litem is to speak on behalf of the best interest of the child.’ In re Tayquon H., 76 Conn. App. 693, 704, 821 A.2d 796 (2003). Thus, the GAL can be made to testify as to what those best interests are to justify them and can be cross examined.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I sent a notice for production of records to the GAL. She said she usually gives this information to clients but because my ex-husband has objected, she is going to let the courts decide. I just don't understand this. How can he object if the GAL routinely does this? If it is okay by law as it apparently is, why would his objection even count and why wouldn't the ad litem just turn stuff over. Is it possible to depose her instead to get around this nonsense? Thanks

It is possible to depose her, but at this point you do best filing a motion to compel in court and let the court decide first about your ex's objection and then if they agree, you would schedule the deposition.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If the court does not agree to compel her, can you depose her then without anybody interfering? Also, if there are no legal grounds for her to not hand over the records now, what about reminding her about that.


If there are no legal grounds it seems like total bias in favor of my ex. Wouldn't you agree?


I know under this she fears being impeached and if I get any more of her records, she might be in more trouble.

If the court will not compel her, then you can depose her and the other party has a right to be present during the deposition and can cross examine her. She is just stating she is going to let the court decide since your ex is objecting to the turning over of the records.

It is not total bias towards anyone, since she is putting the burden on the court to decide the disclosure and she is not simply refusing to turn them over to you.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions