Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

I live in Minnesota. I have a grown son (soon to be 27 yrs

I live in Minnesota. I have a grown son (soon to be 27 yrs old) that will not speak to me. He is in a second marriage and they had a son in September. Do I have any rights to be able to meet this grandson?

Samuel-II :

I am sorry to hear that your son will not allow you visits.

Are you saying that the child is from the former marriage or the current marriage?

If from the current marriage, then you would not have any rights - the parents would have to be divorced or one of them deceased. Then you could Petition the court as long as you could show the visits would be in the child's best interest and that it would not interfere with a relationship with the parents.

But if the child is of the current marriage and they are not divorced, unfortunately, you have no standing