lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

My wifes grandfather had mentioned to her that he had insurance

My wifes grandfather had mentioned to her that he had insurance policy money or other monies for her in the event of his death. He told her it was in his will. She never received any money nor was contacted by anyone. Is there a way to find out if there is money out there for her. He passed on in 2003
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

I am very sorry for her loss. I am a probate attorney and handle these types of issues on a regualr basis. She can check witht the probate court in the county of his residence to see if there was an estate opened and a will filed. If so, that is all public information and the clerk will send her a copy of the will for a small fee or she can go in and look at the file.

Unfortunately she has waited tne years to check so it is unlikely that that she has any money out there for her. She would have to talk with his children to find out what has happened if there is no estate that has been filed. It is possible that if her grandmother is still alive that she might receive something when she passes. The only way to know is to check the court and then ask her relatives.