Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My Ex-Wife moved to Australia with her new husband, and my

My Ex-Wife moved to Australia with her new husband, and my 13yr old. I allowed this to happen.They have lived overseas for about 5 years. Now she states for school discount rates she wants me to sign a legal document giving my daughter full citizenship in Australia. She states she would not loose her citisenship here in the US. My question is what are the ramifications of doing this. She always has an alternative motive. If I sign, can she make it to where I would have to travel to Austrailia to fight my legal battles about my daughter, or what could happen?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

Yes, it is a possibility that she could then change the jurisdiction for any further legal decisions from the US to Australia. And there is no guarantee that is not her motive. But if you are basically getting along and cordial with the visits, etc the way they are established, then perhaps this is not much to concern yourself with. Keep in mind, that your daughter is a young teen and by US standards she will soon be able to decide who she wants to live with and when she wants to visit with you, etc. So even if the Mother would try to have your rights narrowed in some fashion, your daughter could tell her she does want to be with you

Samuel-II :

Of course, before you sign anything from the Mother as to an Australian citizenship, I suggest you take it to a local attorney and have it fully reviewed

Samuel-II :

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck

Customer:

Whats the age limit

Samuel-II :

There really is No Age limit so to speak. As long as child is able to understand and can articulate what they want

Samuel-II :

A court will take their desires into consideration.

Samuel-II :

Generally, about ageXXXXXwill see if a child is able to detail what they want in the way of who they want to visit with, when, etc

Samuel-II :

The court will, upon request, interview a child in chambers as to their feelings.

Samuel-II :

Samuel-II :

I suggest you can talk to your daughter. Find out if she likes it where she is, how she is doing in school etc and when she is ready to come for a visit. Also, ask your daughter how she feels about having the Dual Citizenship and explain to her that you will always be available to her, regardless of where she lives and all she has to do is let you know

Samuel-II :

That communication is the best for this situation

Customer:

Does citizenship actually get her discounts in school?

Samuel-II :

I am sure it does. It would be the same thing as if a child lived in one county here and wanted to go to school in another county. Living in that county as a resident will make it cheaper. Or for instance if you are looking at college there is In State tuition as opposed to the higher cost for those coming from another staet

Customer:

Thanks

Samuel-II :

You are welcome. Thank you and good luck. Talk to your daughter. Let her know that such a dual citizenship changes nothing between you. Do not sign anything until you have it reviewed by a local attorney

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.