Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

in a custody case you have a $300.00 court cost in logan county

in a custody case you have a $300.00 court cost in logan county lincoln illinois You are one day late paying anf are fined $ 500.00 can this possible be right
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry to hear you are in this situation, but I am sorry to tell you the court takes their orders very seriously and can indeed impose such ridiculously high fines as a deterrent for late payments. However, if you can prove you never received notice of the payment being due, then this is grounds to file a motion to waive the fine with the court. Filing a motion to waive the fine since you did not know you had to even pay the $300 and never received notice.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you saying i should of received written notice or in what form also is there a fee to file the motion

You were entitled to some notice the payment was due and when it was due by in order for them to claim you were late on the payment and charge you the fine. Each court sets their own fees, but in general there are no fees for filing a motion to waive the fine/penalty. You file a motion to waive penalty/fine and notice of motion with the clerk of court and send a copy to the other party.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.