Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

Do greatgrand parents have a right to see their grandchildren

Do greatgrand parents have a right to see their grandchildren in P ennsylvania?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Whose great grandparents (GG) are they? Mother's or father's?
.
Are both parents alive, just divorced or split up?
.
Has the child ever lived with the GG for any extended period of time?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The child is my great granddaughter and the grandmother is my daughter. It is my grandsons child. My grandson and the mother are not together. Each parent are married to other spouses.

Ok, great grandparents in Pennsylvania may seek visitation or "reasonable partial custody" in certain circumstances. First off the parents must be split up for over 6 months or one of them must be deceased. Next there must have been some regular contact between the child and the GG. The court is instructed to consider the amount of personal contact that took place before the application.
.
In addition, if the child resided with the great grandparent for twelve months or more and was removed from the great grandparent's home by parents, the court may rule in favor of visitation. As in all of the United States, the court must consider whether visitation is in the child's best interest. In addition, in Pennsylvania, the court must consider whether visitation would interfere with the parent-child relationship.
.
So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that yes, GG can file a petition in the family courts for visitation and the judge would have to make a determination as to whether it would be in the child's best interests or not.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would I need a lawyer?

Well, it wouldn't be mandatory, but if you aren't familiar with filing legal motions and legal documents and arguing your case to a judge, it would be best to get a good family law attorney to help. A family law attorney will simply be able to make your case better for you than you likely would yourself.
.
It also often happens that the attorney knows the judge and has appeared in front of them hundreds of times over the years so the judge may be more inclined to rule for them.
.
Not being sexist or anything, but I would suggest a female attorney because over the years, I have seen them typically have better results when compared to male attorneys.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.