AttyCBradford
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family Law Attorney serving California Statewide
66829710

1)Is it correct that spousal support terminates upon the marriage

1)Is it correct that spousal support terminates upon the marriage of either party in CA or if I am reading Family code 4337 correctly?
2) Supporting party started giving or contributing to the supported party about 10 months ago, should start date for spousal support start when payments made 10 mos. ago or on/ after Judgment is entered; or start date can be bargained for by eitheir party?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyCBradford replied 1 year ago.

AttyCBradford :

Hello!! It depends on how your court order is written, but yes generally, spousal support terminates upon the supported party remarrying. You cannot usually get back paid spousal support back, because you found out that they were married, but you should file and then ask for it to be retroactive to the date of filing.

AttyCBradford :
Customer:

hello

AttyCBradford :

Hello

Customer:

yes i am ready.

AttyCBradford :

I responded did you not get the answer?

AttyCBradford :

8:07 PM

Customer:

i just had the chance to read it. just one clarification:

AttyCBradford :

sure

Customer:

what if supporting party is the one that gets married?

AttyCBradford :

then no you have to continue to pay the support, it has to be the supported party that remarries

AttyCBradford :

a new spouses income generally has no effect on spousal support payment either

Customer:

thank you.

AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience: Criminal Defense and Family Law Attorney serving California Statewide