Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
11297241

I have been paying $ 1000.00 per month permenant alimony, starting

I have been paying $ 1000.00 per month permenant alimony, starting December 1995. I am 72 on S.S. My ex is 67 on S.S. and currently working full time. I was working part time but that job finished December 2012. Is there case law in Florida to stop perment alimony short of my death? Reuben
Thank you for your question.

There is a law in Florida that allows the courts to review an alimony award when "the circumstances or the financial ability of either party changes..." (Florida Statutes 61.14). However, to determine whether you can apply to the court to modify or terminate your obligation, you will first have to thoroughly examine the divorce decree as to alimony to determine whether it is modifiable. Alimony may have been awarded non-modifiable either by the court or by agreement, in which case the court is without jurisdiction to terminate your obligation.

I would urge you to bring your divorce decree to a local family law attorney to review. Most attorneys will offer free initial consultations in which the attorney can quickly review the agreement and tell you whether you can have your alimony obligated terminated. Again, if there is no indication that alimony is "non-modifiable", then based on your changed circumstances, the courts could likely reduce or terminate your obligation.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions, which I am happy to answer. Once you are satisfied, please kindly rate my service, as that is how I am compensated by the website. Thank you.