How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116298
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of my sons has four children. The two for whom child support

This answer was rated:

One of my sons has four children. The two for whom child support is reasonable, are the same two he gets to spend time with. The two for whom the child support is totally unreasonable, given his salary, he has never been able to have a relationship with. One woman had another boyfriend and an ex husband in the woodwork at the same time, and wouldn't even let him come to the baby's birth once she had conned him into that relationship. The other woman was turning 40, and they had had a relationship when he was just 19 and she was 23. She asked him to visit her in Calif., and tricked him into having a child with her. (Yes, he is an extremely handsome, dumb as hell about women, bipolar. He actually left a good-paying job to go see this woman in Calif, who had gypped him out of $2,000 when they attended college together two decades earlier.) He has received notice (which he threw away) that the state of TN, where he lived for almost two years after his ill brother returned from Afghanistan) was going to take his driver's license for being unable to pay the child support in full, for this most recent child in Calif. He got laid off from his ND job on November 16, and can't get another job without a driver's license. Now he can't pay the amounts of child support at all for January. Does TN have a reciprocal driver's license suspension with Colorado? I know that CO has such an agreement with Montana, although Montana, where he is currently with me, does not take away driver's licenses for this reason. It seems so self-defeating to keep someone from working, who is paying all they can while they are working.
Yes, I am afraid that TN and CO and CA are part of the drivers license interstate compact as is MT. If CA or CO issues a suspension for non-payment of support, then under the uniform child custody act, which applies across the states where each state agrees to give full faith and credit to orders regarding support issued by any other state, he would not be able to obtain a license legally as it has already been suspended by another state. I am afraid that every license application even asks if the applicant has been or is currently under a suspension in any other state and failure to truthfully answer is a felony punishable by 5-10 years in prison, so I am afraid that he is going to be stuck with the license suspension and would have to apply to CO for their agreement to allow for a hardship license for him to drive to and from work.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the info. He has in the past been able to get the CO license reinstated and get one in Montana (prior to having the fourth child in CA). But getting the CO one reinstated for work purposes ... how would that help him get back to work in MT or ND if Tennessee doesn't cooperate?

Once CO reinstates his license then he can apply for a license in any state. TN will cooperate if CO states that they will allow a work or hardship license.