Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

How do I apply for Conservatorship in Detroit Michigan?

Hello and welcome,

I have reviewed the state court forms and located a form published by the courts that can be used to petition the local court for conservatorship.

It is called a Petition for Appointment of Conservator and/or Protective Order and here is a link to that form and others from the courts' website:

http://courts.mi.gov/Administration/SCAO/Forms/Pages/Guardian-and-Conservator.aspx?Paged=TRUE&p_Title=Order%20%28general%29&p_ID=1004&PageFirstRow=31&&View={7F11B0A1-77B5-4199-B384-5E411B2AFDEE}

A hearing will normally be set in the matter and it must be determined that the individual is in need of the appointment, usually due to incapacity.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Kindly remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger. Thank you and all the best to you in 2013.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I found the form and scanned it quickly. Once I fill it out I don't see what or where to send it. What do I do with it?

Hello again, Debra.

Where is the location of the individual for whom you are seeking conservatorship? What area of Detroit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its my brother in a nursing home Schaefer/7mile area in Wayne county.

I see.

Here is a link to the Wayne County courts. The conservatorship should normally be filed in the probate court:

http://www.waynecounty.com/3577.htm

You can contact the clerk of that court to see how many copies of the petition they need, the filing fee, and any additional instructions they may have for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So use the form from the first link you gave me then contact the appropriate Wayne County court from the second link you gave me?

Yes, I would contact the court first and ask for any special instructions, but that is the form you would typically use to petition for conservatorship.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

You are very welcome, Debra.

Good luck to you and take care.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so I will be compensated for my time in assisting you. Thank you very much.