Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

What is the law in the city of Palm Coast and the state of

What is the law in the city of Palm Coast and the state of Florida regarding filing for divorce because of infidelity?
Thank you.
Florida divorces are considered no fault divorces. What this means is that adultery is largely not relevant when filing for the divorce. Under FL law, the courts have ruled that adultery or marital misconduct must be financial and intentional, either not condoned or known by the injured spouse, and resulted in dissipation of martial assets. Thus, if you cannot prove financial injury in the dissipation of your marital assets the courts generally do not consider adultery any different than any other no fault divorce. If you have known about the cheating for 30 years, this is another issue considered by the FL courts to indicate it was condoned, or accepted, by you.

Where adultery might be considered by the courts would be in your marital property division and whether or not you would get alimony/spousal support. FL Statute § 61.08 states that only one of the factors that a court may consider in determining an alimony award is the adultery of either spouse. Florida law is very clear, however, that adultery may not be used solely to punish the unfaithful spouse. In fact, adultery may not be considered in relation to alimony unless the adultery has caused a depletion of marital assets. If the cheating spouse’s adultery had no impact on the assets of the marriage, the straying spouse’s conduct is not to be considered in fashioning an alimony award.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't believe this answer applies to my case. I received a "poison pen letter" on 12/20/12 addressed to me which was forwarded from his mistress to our previous address in New Jersey. The letter notified me of the "30-year" affair, and alleged 29-year old female child (to which he agreed to have affixed his name to the birth certificate) but could not produce a paternity test. Thank you.

I am sorry that you do not believe the answer, which covered both when and when not adultery would come into play in a divorce in FL, but now you are adding in more information not previously disclosed as well. If you just learned of the affair and can prove, as I said above, that there was financial disgorgement of your marital estate because of the adultery, then it would be used as a factor in seeking your property distribution entitlement and alimony. I provided you the FL Statute where all this is stated as well, to support my answer to you.

Thus, based on the letter which you now have disclosed to me and if you can show that he provided marital assets to her for her support or to support the relationship, then the court can consider the adultery, but again, it is not considered as ground for divorce under FL's no fault law, it is considered as a factor in the equitable distribution of marital property and determination of entitlement to alimony.