Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 14 years experience
19958803

I want to modify my child support for my son born in 1996 because

I want to modify my child support for my son born in 1996 because my daughter was born in 2011. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my daughter's birth certiciate because the hospital nurses identified my girlfrined/ financee as still being legally married but has been separated for more than 6 years. My question is: Can I use a low cost and affordable personal/ private DNA paternity test to submit to the court as proof that I am financially responsible for another child to modify my child support payments or must I pay for the expensive legal paternity test to submit to the court?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
To be very honest, it is pretty unlikely that a judge would accept the results of a private test that you did yourself due to the possibility of manipulation. Further, if you aren't on the birth certificate and didn't sign a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity, then you woul dhave to file a formal paternity lawsuit in family court to be legally declared the child's father.
.
Since a private test may not be subject to any oversight, the court might not allow it and would order an independent one. Now if you had one performed by an independent lab, that is a different story as you and the child would have had to submit DNA samples to the lab with them collecting the sample. There is no possibility of manipulation in that scenario so even though it wasn't court ordered, the judge would likely accept those results.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with 14 years experience